About this blog:
Mother Theresa is credited with saying, “We can do no great things, only small things with great love.”
This blog is a way for me to practice mindfulness, to notice and process the small things in life that point to God, to Love. It is a venue for me to write, which is one way in which I experience the world and God. It also helps me to connect and share with others, to journey with others who choose to stop by for a time. Learn a little more about this on my first post.
Please feel free to join me in this journey in any way, including comments and questions!
About the blogger:
1. I am a social worker with a passion for working with those who are on the fringe of society- the oppressed and vulnerable- but also seeing and helping to change the systemic issues that impede certain groups and individuals from reaching their potential.
2. I currently live in Belize, Central America, but have also lived in Pennsylvania and D.C., and will always be a Jersey girl at heart (sans the accent).
3. The adjustment to living in a new culture, away from friends and family, is a large part of my current journey. It is scary at times, thrilling at others, sometimes mundane, but mostly, it is an adventure!
4. I see my faith and spirituality as constantly in process. I am always asking and engaging in questions about my faith. I come from a Christian background, but I have some difficulties with the ways mainstream Christianity has interpreted faith. I strive to follow Jesus daily through spiritual practices and learning to love those around me better. I am constantly examining and re-examining what that means and how to live it.
5. I love being with my family (mom, dad, 5 siblings, and a plethora of aunts, uncles & cousins) and friends who have become like family. Though I am out of the country now and less able to see them, I try my best to keep in touch, while also building new relationships and being present where I am- always a challenge!
6. I love the concept of intentional Christian community, and have lived in 3 communities so far. I believe that we are created to live in community in some form, and so my husband and I are committed to living counter to the individualistic culture we grew up in. Most recently, we lived in an intentional community in a low-income neighborhood in Pennsylvania. We now live in community in Belize, as part of a Christian environmentalist study abroad program.
7. I love coffee and tea, and I love the rituals that surround them. One of my favorite things to do is to sit in a local cafe for hours with my coffee cup- journaling, blogging, doing work, chatting with friends and acquaintances. I love sharing tea and coffee with others!
8. I love listening to stories and sharing my own. I love writing stories and reflections- my own, or someone else’s. I believe that we are changed not just by experience, but on reflection upon experience. We must think and write and talk and share to really be affected by our experiences.
I look forward to sharing this journey!